The awards committee is requesting nominations for seven awards presented annually by the Native Plant Society of Texas.
The annual awards acknowledge the achievement of individuals and groups whose work enriches our understanding of native plants. These awards honor excellence in writing; acts of conservation and public service; and lifetime achievement in the field of Texas native plants. The awards will be presented at an awards banquet in San Antonio on October 20.
Click here for lists of past recipients of these awards and a link to the nominations form. Nominations may be submitted no later than May 31. The awards committee will be considering the work of individuals and groups for the following seven awards.
The CARROLL ABBOTT MEMORIAL AWARD For writings in the popular vein on Texas native plants.
The NANCY BENEDICT MEMORIAL AWARD For an act of conservation/public service in the field of Texas native plants. This is neither a “joiner” nor a “lifetime of service” award: it is for a specific act or acts.
The DONOVAN STEWART CORRELL MEMORIAL AWARD For scientific writing in the field of the native flora of Texas.
The LYNN LOWREY MEMORIAL AWARD For horticultural achievement in the field of Texas native plants.
The DIGITAL MEDIA AWARD Recognizes outstanding digital publications featuring Texas native plants.
The NATIVE STAR AWARD Given to an organization or agency for a specific act of conservation or public service.
The CHARLES LEONARD WEDDLE MEMORIAL AWARD For lifetime achievement in the field of Texas native plants.
Rules and Qualifications
- Only those publications or acts published or performed within the past five years will be considered.
- Only those publications, which deal with the native Texas flora, or acts of discovery, rediscovery, conservation or service, in a broad sense, on Texas soil with the native Texas flora, shall be considered for awards.
- Publications may be books, monographs, papers, magazine articles, etc. If a paper or magazine article, it would probably record original or groundbreaking work.
- The lifetime achievement award shall be for longtime service and achievement in the collection, study, usage, writing, planting, growing, observing, etc. in the arena of the native flora of the state of Texas.
- Each memorial award may be made annually, although it is not mandated that an award be given in any category every year. An award will be given only when there is justification for it.
- No one person (team, etc.) may win more than one award in any calendar year.
- Only one award per category will be given for Memorial Awards.