The Native Plant Society of Texas created the Native Landscape Certification Program (NLCP) to encourage a migration of Texans back to nature that will reap priceless benefits for our families, environment, and economy.
NLCP is a series of day-long classes that teach best practices for native plant landscaping – including wildlife habitat gardening. Each class consists of an indoor training session and a plant identification section. We show you plants native to the local ecoregion, illustrating their use in the landscape. You will also see common non-native plants which may take over our natural areas. In each level you are presented 45 native Texas plants recommended for your landscape and 5 plants to avoid. Classes are adapted to the area in which they are offered.
Fall 2023 Classes Offered in San Antonio
- October 21 – Phil Hardberger Park
- October 14 – San Antonio Botanical Garden
- Level 1 is a prerequisite for Levels 2 and 3 classes. Subsequent levels may be taken in any order.
- There are no prerequisites for Level 4 or the Native Landscapes for Birds class.
(Financial Assistance Available)
- $50 – Members
- $65 – Non-Members
Registration For Fall 2023 Classes Opens August 1
Not Offered In San Antonio During Fall 2023
- Level 1: Introduction to Native Landscapes
- Level 3: Installation and Maintenance of Native Landscapes
- Level 4: Stewardship of Native Plant Communities
For more information on classes in San Antonio and other chapter locations, and to register online, click here.
If you need help with your landscape, feel free to learn more about our Services Directory which includes individuals in our area who successfully completed NLCP classes.