The Native Plant Society of Texas created the Native Landscape Certification Program (NLCP) to encourage a migration of Texans back to nature that will reap priceless benefits for our families, environment, and economy.
NLCP is a series of day-long classes that teach best practices for native plant landscaping – including wildlife habitat gardening. Each class consists of an indoor training session and a plant identification section. We show you plants native to the local ecoregion, illustrating their use in the landscape. You will also see common non-native plants which may take over our natural areas. In each level you are presented 45 native Texas plants recommended for your landscape and 5 plants to avoid. Classes are adapted to the area in which they are offered.
Spring 2023 Classes Offered in San Antonio
Level 1: Introduction To Native Landscapes (Hybrid – You Must Attend Both Sessions For Credit)
- May 6, 2023 – Class topic via Zoom
- May 13 In-person Plant Walk (location to be determined)
Level 4: Stewardship Of Native Landscapes (Hybrid – You Must Attend Both Sessions For Credit)
- March 25, 2023 – Zoom
- April 1 – Field Trip (MRNA)
Note: Level 4 can also be taken as a standalone class for those interested in conservation and not landscaping. You are not required to have taken Level 1.
- Level 1 is a prerequisite for Levels 2 and 3 classes. Subsequent levels may be taken in any order.
- There are no prerequisites for Level 4 or the Native Landscapes for Birds class.
(Financial Assistance Available)
- $50 – Members
- $65 – Non-Members
Registration For Spring 2023 Classes Opens February 1
Not Offered In San Antonio During Spring, 2023
- Level 2: Landscape Design with Native Plants
- Level 3: Installation and Maintenance of Native Landscapes
- Native Landscape for Birds – Companion Class
For more information on classes in San Antonio and other chapter locations, and to register online, click here.
If you need help with your landscape, feel free to learn more about our Services Directory which includes individuals in our area who successfully completed NLCP classes.