Native Plant Lists, Plants of the Month, Local Sources of Native Plants, Monarchs, Milkweed & References
Ever wonder what native plants grow in shade? What native grasses to plant? What plants are good for erosion control? What native plants are good for hummingbirds…for pollinators…for butterflies? What are local invasive plants…how to identify and eliminate them? For the answers to these questions and more, see below:
- Native Plant Lists for our EcoRegion (Created for NPSOT’s Native Landscaping Certification Program classes).
- Native Plant Information Pages in PDF for printing – updated February 2023
- See our page on “All about Monarchs & Milkweeds“
- List of local sources of native plants
- Download (PDF, 151KB)
- Note: NPSOT Houston does not recommend specific vendors; availability of plant stock from vendors varies seasonally.
- Plant of the Month – updated monthly.
- Native Texas Plants: Landscaping Region by Region by Sally Wasowski & Andy Wasowski: the “bible” of native plants, their growing conditions, and how to use them in landscaping.
- Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plantsby Doug Tallamy: the importance of native plants in supporting local insects which in turn support local wildlife.
- Wildflowers of Houston and Southeast Texas by John Tveten & Gloria Tveten: best guide of local plants growing in the wild.
- How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest by Jill Nokes: Propagation methods for a variety of native plants.
— — — — —
Plant Checklists of Greater Houston: Greater Houston Checklists