Meetings - Dallas Chapter NPSOT
The Native Plant Society of Texas promotes the conservation, research and utilization of native plants and plant habitats of Texas through education, outreach and example.
Become a member or learn more about the Native Plant Society of Texas by visiting our organization’s home page http://www.npsot.org
The Dallas Chapter holds monthly meetings open to the general public with guest speakers on topics related to native plants and habitats; maintains demonstration gardens at several sites in the Metroplex; and sponsors such other events as may come up that promote the use or awareness of native plants. The meetings are held on the 3rd Monday of the month, nine months out of the year with social time at 6:30pm and announcements and speaker starting at 7pm. Meetings are not held in July or December.
ZOOM our monthly meetings at: https://npsot-org.zoom.us/j/83725236133?pwd=QkhWN24zR2xlT3QrcnE5bEI5cndwUT09
Join us at the Gaston Christian Center’s Fellowship Hall – 8515 Greenville Avenue, Dallas, TX 75243 Google map link: https://goo.gl/maps/f56RmuSnjn9Z6RQQ6
UPCOMING News and Events
September 18, 2023, monthly meeting – Nancy Wilson presents Pollination 301: A Deeper Dive on Pollination Pairings
October 7, 2023 – FALL PLANT SALE ! 9am to noon @ the Gaston Christian Center
October 16, 2023 – monthly meeting – Amy Martin will speak on her new book, Wild DFW
November 20, 2023 – monthly meeting – TBA
December 2023 – no meeting in December
PAST News and Events
- August 21, 2023, monthly meeting – Earth-kind Landscaping, Katerina Velasco Graham, Dallas County Horitculture Extension Agent
- July 2023 – no meeting
- June 19, 2023, monthly meeting – Texas Tough Natives for Droughts and Flood, Carol Clark.
- May 15, 2023, monthly meeting – Monarch Butterfly Populations, Nancy Wilson and Janet D Smith on the status of the monarch butterfly populations.
- SPECIAL EVENT May 6, 2023 Native Plants and Prairie Day at the Bathhouse.
- April 17, 2023, monthly meeting – Benny Simpson: Texas Native Plant Pioneer, presented by Judy Meagher
- March 20, 2023, monthly meeting – “A Love/Hate Relationship: How Plants and Insects Live Together” by Sam Kieschnick.
- February 20, 2023, monthly meeting – all about Ned Fritz: The Original Native Plant Advocate
- January 16, 2023, monthly meeting with Liz Moyer. “Getting Them Started with Natives”
- December 2022 NO Meeting
- November 2022 NO Meeting
- October 17, 2022 – meeting and plant give away. Janet Smith covered the plants that were given.
- Monday, August 15, 2022 – Dr. Carly Aulicky, North Texas Director of Outreach and Stewardship of NPAT, “Prairie Plants and Invasives”
- July – No meeting
- Monday, June 20, 2022 – Caye Cook and Lindsey White of CCA Landscape Architects, Inc. – “The Perils and Pleasures of Introducing Native Plants in Public Spaces: True Stories from Two Dallas Landscape Architects”
- March 21, 2022 – Dr. Carly Aulicky, North Texas Director of Outreach and Stewardship of NPAT, “Finding Balance in a Changing Landscape: Prairie Biodiversity and Invasive Species”.
- December – No Meeting
- November 15th – crossing fingers for a pot luck & seed swap
- Monday, October 18th @ 7pm – Native Trees with Arborilogical Tree Services
- Monday, September 20th @ 7pm – Cell phone photography with Edgar Miller
- Monday, August 16th @ 7pm – TBD (John Bunker Sands?)
- July – No Meeting
- Monday, June 21st @ 7pm – Plant Propagation with Roseann Ferguson
- Monday, May 17th @ 7pm – Prehistoric Plants of North Texas with Dr. Bonnie Jacobs
- Monday, April 19th @ 7pm – iNaturalist, How to Verify Identification and More with Sam Kieschnick
- Monday, March 15th @ 7pm – Creek Management with Ricky Linex
- Monday, February 15th @ 7pm – Blackland Prairies with Adam Black
- Monday, January 18th @ 7pm – How Does Your Covid-19 Garden Grow
- December – No Meeting
- Monday, November 16 @ 7pm – “The Writings of Ferdinand Lindheimer” with John Williams
- Monday, October 19 @ 7pm – Bringing Texas Native Plants to Texas Discovery Gardens with Kerry Gray-Harrison as a part of our state 40th Anniversary Celebration week
- October 18-24 – Texas Native Plant Week – Virtual Celebration of NPSOT’s 40th Anniversary
- Monday, September 21 @ 7pm – Carolyn Oldman & Jerri Kerr – Hummingbirds
- Monday, August 17 @ 7pm – Carol Clark – Just Enough Latin to Go Plant Shopping
- Monday, July 20 @ 7pm – Kevin & Diane Sloan: Why ReWilding Matters
- Monday, June 15 @ 7pm – Kevin & Diane Sloan: What is ReWILDING?
- Monday, February 17 @ 7pm – Dr. George Diggs, Texas Native Plants and Climate Change
- Monday, January 20 @ 7pm – Ryan Giesecke, Bees in North Texas (Trinity Valley Beekeepers Association)
- Monday, November 18th – Night Out @ Ozona & Seed Swap
- Monday, October 21st – Janet D. Smith, “Natives for Monarchs”
- Monday, September 16th – Carolyn Oldham & Jerri Kerr, “Meet The Knockers, Woodpeckers of North America”
- Monday, August 19th – Roger Sanderson, “Native Plants of Interest”
- Monday, June 17, 2019 – Brittani Carter-Durant with Trinity Park Conservancy, Developing Harold Simmons Park
- Monday, May 20, 2019 – Michael Parkey, Native Trees/Urban Landscaping
- Monday, April 15, 2019 – Heather Rinaldi with Texas Worm Ranch, “Managing Soil Biology for Ecosystem Health”
- Monday, March 18, 2019 – Carolyn Rozier, “What is a Herbarium?”
- Monday, February 18, 2019 – Stephanie Varnum, Hexalectris Orchids
- Friday, January 25, 2019 – Social Science Night at the Perot “Wild World” (NPSOT info booth)
- Monday, January 21, 2019 – John Watts, “Covered in Chitin”
- September 17, 2018 – Garden Grant Recipients, Our Projects
- August 20, 2018 – Carrie Dubberley, Rain Gardens
- June 18, 2018 – Natives for Shade, Cindy Kearney
- May 21, 2018 – Chapter Pow Wow
- April 16, 2018 – “Sex in the Garden” with Janet D. Smith
- March 19, 2018 – Dana Wilson, Wild Natives
- February 19, 2018 – Suzanne Tuttle, “Tips for Identifying Deciduous Woody Plants in Winter”
- September 18, 2017 – “Henry David Thoreau’s Flowering: Why His Thought and Work Still Matter Today” by Lauren Hehmeyer
- August 21, 2017 – Roseann Ferguson, volunteer at Texas Discovery Gardens, will be giving us a Propagation Workshop
- June 19, 2017 – Tour the gardens of the George Bush Library
- May 6, 2017 – Spring Plant Sale at the Native Plants & Prairies Day @ the Bath House
- May 15 2017 – The Dallas Master Gardeners will give us a tour of the gardens at Midway Hills Christian Church
- April 17, 2017 – Daniel Cunningham will present “Saving for a Rainy Day, Making a Rain Barrel”
- March 20, 2017 – Brett Johnson will present “Natural Resources of Dallas”
- February 20, 2017 – Daniel Cunningham gave a presentation on Composting
- January 16, 2017 – Cindy Kearney presented “Natives for the Shade”
- October – Annual Symposium, No Chapter Meeting
- September 19, 2016 – Screening of Hometown Habitat, Stories of Bringing Nature Home
- August 15, 2016 – Sam Kieschnick will share his knowledge on the iNaturalist program
- July 2016 – No Meeting
- June 20, 2016 – Steve Houser spoke to us on Indian Marker Trees
- May 16, 2016 – Amy Martin spoke to us about “The Itchy Business of Poison Oak & Poison Ivy”
- April 18, 2016 – Fred Bryant, the Leroy G. Denman, Jr. Endowed Director of the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute at Texas A&M University-Kingsville, to spoke on a native seed program
- March 21, 2016 – Becky Radar spoke on the White Rock Lake flora & fauna
- March 5 & 12, 2016 – Tim Dalbey led us on a Trout Lily walk to McCommas Bluff & Post Oak Preserve instead of a February meeting
- January 18, 2016 – Janet Smith spoke on the Miracles of Monarchs
- October 15-18, 2015 – Symposium at the Airport Hilton in Austin, Texas, “Capit-O-lize on Natives: Contributions, Challenges, Conservation”
- September 21, 2015 – The Dallas chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas was proud to present, for the first time anywhere, Richard Grayson, Becky Rader, Ben Sandifer, Tim Dalbey, and Jim Flood presenting, Pemberton Big Spring: Its History, Science, Botany and Current Status in the Great Trinity Forest.
- August 17, 2015 – Rich Jaynes presented Into the Prairie: A Celebration of Native Prairie Grasses
- June 15, 2015 – Dr. Denis R Benjamin of BRIT spoke to us about fungi and mushrooms.
- May 18, 2015 – Mark Klym will speak on Wildscape and Pollinators.
- May 2, 2015 – Spring Plant Sale at Native Plants and Prairie Day at the White Rock Lake’s Bath House and Cultural Center.
- April 20, 2015 – Rosa Finsley, nationally-renowned Landscape Architect presented
“Frankford Church & Cemetery Prairie Restoration: A Historical Prairie Restored”.
- April 18 & 19, 2015 – Landscape Architect Rosa Finsley and Master Naturalist Rich Jaynes lead tours of the Frankford Prairie, identifying the spring wildflowers and grasses in bloom.
- March 16, 2015 – Ricky Linex from USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service of Texas talked about the “Riparian Management – Why Creeks Act the Way They Do”
- February 16, 2015 – Chris Psencik, Tommy Silvers, and Jennifer DeWolfe from Southern Botanical Inc. talked about the “Installation and Maintenance of a Texas Native Plants Landscape of the George W Bush Presidential Center in Dallas”.
- January 19, 2015 – Randy Johnson presented his lecture on “Pollinators and Natives: An Ancient Marriage”
- October 4, 2014 Plant Sale at Lakeside Farmer’s Market
- September 15, 2014 Matt White elaborated on his book “Prairie Time. A Brief Blackland Prairie Environmental History”
- August 18, 2014 Jessica Beckham talked about “Urban Bumblebee in Denton County”
- June 16, 2014 Barney Lipscomb talked about “Discovering Texas’ Botanical Heritage – Past, Present & Future”
- May 19, 2014 Jo Ann Collins talked about “Fort Worth Prairie Park”
- On April 21, 2014 Malinda Slagle talked about “Adapting the Native Landscape Certification Program (NLCP) to North Texas: Challenges and Rewards”
- March 17, 2014 Dr. Gary O. Dick spoke on work conducted in the Trinity River wetlands.
- February 17, 2014 Carole Clark spoke on “Onions of the DFW Metroplex Area”
- February 15, 2014 Our chapter visited the John Bunker Sands Wetland Center. (see more)
- January 20, 2014 Randy Johnson spoke on “Native Plants: Ancient solutions for Modern Problems”
- October 5, 2013 Our chapter had a plant sale at White Rock Lake Local Market
- September 16, 2013 UTA Professor Laura Gough talked about “Effects of Global Change on Arctic Plants and Our Native Prairies”
- August 19, 2013 North Texas Master Naturalists Jim Shouse and Dana Wilson spoke on plant species that are invasive to the Dallas-Fort Worth region
- June 17, 2013 Jim Edison from The Nature Conservancy spoke on “Vegetation and Ecology of Blackland Prairie, Grand Prairie and Western Crosstimbers of North Central Texas”
- May 4, 2013 Our chapter had a booth with plant sale at “Love Our Native Plants and Prairies Day” at White Rock Bath House Cultural Center
- May 20, 2013 Michael D. Warriner from TPWD spoke on “Native Bees of Texas”
- April 15, 2013 Gail Kahle guided a field trip with plant ID at Spring Creek Forest Preserve in Garland
- March 17, 2013 John DeFillipo spoke on “John Bunker Sands Wetland Center: Aquatic Plants Naturally Filtering our Water Supply”
- February 18, 2013 Jim Varnum spoke on “Attracting Birds and Butterflies to your Garden”
- January 21, 2013 Randy Johnson spoke on “Native Milkweeds: A Hub of Biodiversity”
- September 17, 2012 Carol Spruiell spoke on Smarter Water for North Texas
- August 20, 2012 Mia McGraw, a research associate with Central Texas Native Seeds, spoke on the increasing need for native seed sources, selection of those species for restoration, project overview, and need for support.
- June 18, 2012 Dr. Marcy Brown Marsden, the Chairman of the Biology Department at the University of Dallas, on “Distribution and Conservation of Native Mycoheterotrophic Orchids in Texas”
- May 21, 2012 Carrie Dubberley, president of Dubberley Landscape, Inc., spoke on “Rain Garden Design and Construction”
- March 19, 2012 John Snowden, owner of the Bluestem Nursery in Arlington, spoke on “Best Native Grasses for Texas Landscapes”
- February 20, 2012 Texas Master Naturalist Jim Varnum spoke on the John F. Burke Nature Preserve
- January 16, 2012 Suzanne Tuttle spoke on “Identifying Deciduous Plants in Winter”
- September 19, 2011 Rosalie Rogers spoke on the Molly Hollar Wildscape, a wildlife habitat restoration project in Arlington, TX.
- August 15, 2011 Roger Sanderson led a tour at Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary in McKinney, TX.
- June 20, 2011 Carol Feldman presented “Maintenance of Your Landscape: Tips for the Homeowner”.
- May 16, 2011 Malinda Slagle presented “Invasive Plant Species of North Texas”.