Each year the Native Plant Society of Texas recognizes the achievement of individuals whose work enriches our understanding or appreciation of Texas native plants. Awards may be presented for acts of conservation and public service, excellence in writing, horticultural achievement, lifetime achievement, and service to the Society.
The Awards Committee will announce its choices for the 2016 awards at the quarterly state board meeting in July. Although the committee is responsible for choosing the winners, it gives strong consideration to suggestions from the public.
If you would like to recommend someone, please provide the award nominee’s name, contact information, and the name of the award, along with the reason you think they deserve the award. Send this information to email@example.com or submit using our online form. The deadline for submitting recommendations is June 30.
- Carroll Abbott Memorial Award for writings in the popular vein on Texas native plants.
- Donovan Stewart Correll Memorial Award for scientific writing in the field of the native flora of Texas.
- Nancy Benedict Memorial Award for an act of conservation/public service in the field of Texas native plants.This is neither a “joiner” nor a “lifetime of service” award – it is for a specific act or acts.
- Charles Leonard Weddle Memorial Award for lifetime achievement in the field of Texas native plants.
- Lynn Lowrey Memorial Award for horticultural achievement in the field of Texas native plants.
- Native Star Award given to an organization or agency for a specific act of conservation or public service.
- Digital Media Award recognizes outstanding digital publications featuring Texas native plants.
You can find more information about the awards here, including a list of all previous recipients. The awards are generally presented during a banquet at the Annual Symposium which will be held this year in Glen Rose.