Native Plant Society of Texas – Houston Chapter’s Monthly Meetings
Next Chapter Meeting: Thursday, December 15, 2016
What: NPSOT Houston Chapter December Holiday Dinner Party
When: 7:00 PM
Where: Fratelli’s Ristorante – 1330 Wirt Rd, Houston, TX 77055
Mark your calendars…make your RSVP
An annual tradition of the NPSOT Houston Chapter is it’s Holiday Dinner Party. This year you can join fellow NPSOT Houston Chapter members and friends at Fratelli’s Ristorante at 1330 Wirt Rd, Houston, TX 77055 on Thursday December 15, 2016. Fratelli’s has been called an Italian outpost with an old-school vibe serving homemade pasta, brick-oven pizza & classic entrees.
The event is a “Dutch Treat” meaning that everyone orders from the menu and covers their own expenses for meals and drinks.
We will also be collecting any donations of canned foods for the local food pantry.
To RSVP, contact Judy Thomas by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope to see you for our Holiday Dinner!
— — — — —
New! NPSOT Houston Video Archive
We want your native plant stories – Come early to our Houston Chapter meeting and let us video your comments, experiences and passion for Texas native plants in your own words. Look for the NPSOT Houston Video Archive sign. We only need 2-4 minutes of your time.
Educational opportunity for NPSOT Members – If you would like to learn how to use the Chapter’s new iPad Padcaster video equipment for filming field trips, garden experiences and interviews, come early (session 6:30 to 7:15 pm) before the next NPSOT Houston Chapter meeting on Thursday, August 18th. Click here to see our video archive on our NPSOT Houston Chapter YouTube Channel.Please Join Us!
2016 Meeting Schedule, Speakers and Presentation
(2017 List Coming Soon)
No charge to attend monthly chapter meetings!
- March 17: Betsy Ross, Sustainable Growth Texas, “Microbes in the Prairie”
- April 21: Wendy Reistle and Sheila Brown, Environmental Institute of Houston, “Educating Youth about Natives and the Environment”
- May 19: Jim Robertson, Cypress Creek Greenway Project, “An Overview and Update of the Cypress Creek Greenway Project”
- June 16: Sarah Flournoy, Houston Audubon Society, “Bird-Friendly Communities”.
- July 21: Matt Singer, Galveston Bay Foundation, “Habitat and Water Conservation within the Galveston Bay Watershed”.
- August 18: David Renninger, MDAnderson, Landscaping with Native Plants”
- September 10: NPSOT Houston Chapter’s 18th annual Wildscapes Workshop, new venue, speaker presentations, local native plant sale and Early Bird registration is now available. Click here to go to the 2016 WIldscapes Workshop page or click here to download full color flyer in PDF format.
- September 15: Marilu De La Fuente & Jed Aplaca, “Working with City Ordinances, Project Wild Program and Adopt-an Esplanade”
- October 20: Heather Bass, Botanical Research Institute of Texas, “Using Prairie Plants to Restore Land”
- November 17: Pot luck and seed/plant swap
- December 15: Holiday Party
Thanks to all that come out to our meetings! 2017 Meeting schedule and presentations will be posted soon.
Past Meeting Topics:
- Linda Paisley “Biomimicry”
- Jaime Gonzalez “Road to Ruin” A highway planned to go through KPC’s lands.
- Mickey Merritt “Urban Trees”
- Earth Day Celebration
- Lisa Gray: “Greening the Prairie”
- Mary Carol Edwards “Wetland Plants for the Home Garden”
- Michael Eckenfels “Gardening for Bees is Conservation for Everyone”
- Laurie Roddy, Texas Master Naturalist and Author, on Get Out Here Houston! www.getoutherehouston.org/get-now
- Dustin Brackney, Houston Zoo Horticulture Supervisor, on “Green Roofs and Our Evolving Understanding of Rooftop Ecology“