Native Plant Society of Texas – Houston Chapter’s Monthly Meetings
Complete list of 2016 meetings (including 18th annual Wildscapes Workshop) is available near bottom of page.
September 15, 2016 Meeting Featured Presentation (No charge to attend):
Marilu De La Fuente & Jed Aplaca
“Working with City Ordinances, Project Wild Program and Adopt-an Esplanade”
Presentation Summary – To Be Provided
6:45 pm Social, 7:30 pm Chapter Meeting & Presentation at the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center in Memorial Park, 4501 Woodway Dr, Houston, TX 77024.
Meet & Greet — Speaker — Refreshments — Door Prizes — Plant ID Table (bring your unknown natives to be ID’ed) — Plant Swap Table (something to take home) — Featured Plant of the Month.
New! NPSOT Houston Video Archive
We want your native plant stories – Come early to our Houston Chapter meeting and let us video your comments, experiences and passion for Texas native plants in your own words. Look for the NPSOT Houston Video Archive sign. We only need 2-4 minutes of your time.
Educational opportunity for NPSOT Members – If you would like to learn how to use the Chapter’s new iPad Padcaster video equipment for filming field trips, garden experiences and interviews, come early (session 6:30 to 7:15 pm) before the next NPSOT Houston Chapter meeting on Thursday, August 18th. Click here to see our video archive on our NPSOT Houston Chapter YouTube Channel.Please Join Us!
2016 Meeting Schedule, Speakers and Presentation (Titles May Change)
No charge to attend monthly chapter meetings!
- March 17: Betsy Ross, Sustainable Growth Texas, “Microbes in the Prairie”
- April 21: Wendy Reistle and Sheila Brown, Environmental Institute of Houston, “Educating Youth about Natives and the Environment”
- May 19: Jim Robertson, Cypress Creek Greenway Project, “An Overview and Update of the Cypress Creek Greenway Project”
- June 16: Sarah Flournoy, Houston Audubon Society, “Bird-Friendly Communities”.
- July 21: Matt Singer, Galveston Bay Foundation, “Habitat and Water Conservation within the Galveston Bay Watershed”.
- August 18: David Renninger, MDAnderson, Landscaping with Native Plants”
- September 10: NPSOT Houston Chapter’s 18th annual Wildscapes Workshop, new venue, speaker presentations, local native plant sale and Early Bird registration is now available. Click here to go to the 2016 WIldscapes Workshop page or click here to download full color flyer in PDF format.
- September 15: Marilu De La Fuente & Jed Aplaca, “Working with City Ordinances, Project Wild Program and Adopt-an Esplanade”
- October 20: Heather Bass, Botanical Research Institute of Texas, “Using Prairie Plants to Restore Land”
- November 17: Pot luck and seed/plant swap
- December 15: Holiday Party
Thanks to all that come out to our meetings!
Past Meeting Topics:
- Linda Paisley “Biomimicry”
- Jaime Gonzalez “Road to Ruin” A highway planned to go through KPC’s lands.
- Mickey Merritt “Urban Trees”
- Earth Day Celebration
- Lisa Gray: “Greening the Prairie”
- Mary Carol Edwards “Wetland Plants for the Home Garden”
- Michael Eckenfels “Gardening for Bees is Conservation for Everyone”
- Laurie Roddy, Texas Master Naturalist and Author, on Get Out Here Houston! www.getoutherehouston.org/get-now
- Dustin Brackney, Houston Zoo Horticulture Supervisor, on “Green Roofs and Our Evolving Understanding of Rooftop Ecology“