Native Plant Lists, Plants of the Month & References
Ever wonder what native plants grow in shade? What native grasses to plant? What plants are good for erosion control? What native plants are good for hummingbirds…for pollinators…for butterflies? What are local invasive plants…how to identify and eliminate them? For the answers to these questions and more, click here for our Native Plant Guide.
— — — — —
- Native Plant Information Pages in PDF for printing (NEW!). Updated February 2016
- See our page on “All about Monarchs & Milkweeds“
- List of local sources of native plants (Note: NPSOT_HOU does not recommend specific vendors; availability of plant stock from vendors varies seasonally).
Want to know what is happening in the environmental and naturalist communities? Subscribe to Linda Knowles‘ monthly email Environmental List/Calendar sent out every monthly immediately before NPSOT-H meetings. For details, email Linda at email@example.com.
— — — — —
- Native Texas Plants: Landscaping Region by Region by Sally Wasowski & Andy Wasowski: the “bible” of native plants, their growing conditions, and how to use them in landscaping.
- Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plantsby Doug Tallamy: the importance of native plants in supporting local insects which in turn support local wildlife.
- Wildflowers of Houston and Southeast Texas by John Tveten & Gloria Tveten: best guide of local plants growing in the wild.
- How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest by Jill Nokes: Propagation methods for a variety of native plants.
— — — — —
Other Plant Lists:
- A Checklist of the Vascular Plants of the Houston Area by Dr. Larry Brown, 2014, Spring Branch Science Center Herbarium (SBSC), 8856 Westview Drive, Houston, Texas 77055
- Lawther Deer Park Prairie Preserve (This link goes to the Deer Park Prairie page; Plant list will be posted shortly)
- More plant lists, events, seed collections opportunities, etc. at the Coastal Prairie Partnership Website www.coastalprairiepartnership.org